Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ironing a million items. How would you feel

From the Archives of all things Ironing - Ironing in the News

This is a story about Val Robson, who has ironed over a million items of clothing in 30 years of service as it appeared on the Belfast Telegraph website on the 22nd of January 2013,



Laundry manager Val Robson


A laundry manager who has ironed more than a million items of clothing in her 30 years' service said she only meant to cover a fortnight's maternity leave.

Val Robson, 56, puts on 30 washes and irons more than 180 items a day at Middleton Hall Retirement Village in Middleton St George, near Darlington.

Despite ironing more than 1.1 million items in her time at work, the grandmother still finds motivation on a Friday evening to press her own clothes, as long as she has a glass of red wine and a Westlife CD on.

She said: "I came for a fortnight to cover someone on maternity leave and I've been here ever since.

"I get a lot of job satisfaction from coming in on a morning and seeing rows of empty baskets, and then seeing them all full of fresh, clean clothes when I've finished. I never stop.

"It's go, go, go all the time - but it keeps me fit. A million pieces seems like a huge amount of ironing but I don't really think about it, I just crack on. It sounds silly to most people but I love my job.

"I think most people wouldn't want to see the ironing board again if they did it for a living, but I don't mind at all.

"It's my Friday evening sorted - a pile of ironing, a glass of wine and Westlife."


Jeremy Walford, the Village's managing director, who awarded her a bouquet of flowers and a meal for two, said: "Val is one of our longest-serving employees and her work ethos and dedication to our residents is fantastic.

"She has so much energy and a pride for what she does. No one can get through the laundry as fast as Val and she always ensures the quality is there too."

Link to this story at Belfast Telegraph